Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Auntie Janice

One of the many reasons why I love designing jewelry is because I can mix old with new and make a truly unique and meaningful piece that will actually be worn instead of hidden away in a drawer. See last week's post on the Memory Chain I made for myself with my grandfather's bracelet. The concept for the Auntie Janice necklace above was born the weekend I went to California to say goodbye to my Gramps before he passed. My aunt Janice showed me the antique etched pin/pendant passed down from her grandmother as well as a graduated pearl necklace that my Gramps had given my Nana and had gifted to my aunt after Nana passed. Both were not being worn and she asked if I could do something with them. Then she says she wants to give me 1/2 the pearl strand so we both have tokens of Nana. Seriously, it has been an emotional few weeks! So, I took the very dainty clasp from the pearl necklace and wired it to her pin and wired it around the aquamarine, pearl, and crystal necklace I made. We both have a thing for aquamarine. I sent it off with a note telling her never to wait for a special occasion to wear it because life passes quickly and we should wear the good stuff anytime!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Sweetie this is GORGEOUS!!! But what I want to know is this??? Aren't you supposed to be relaxing on the beach somewhere???
    xo
    me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your jewelry is beautiful, and your beads are so well organized! I was in the most wonderful bead shop today in Taylors Falls Minnesota! I love beautiful beads!

    ReplyDelete